Wakefield Youth Skating Association Programs, 2016 - 2017
WYSA offers programs for young beginner players to those under 18. These programs vary in price based on the number of games played and the league they play in. A brief outline of these programs and tuition costs are listed below. The season starts in September and runs through early April. Registration and tryouts for these programs takes place in late March, unless otherwise noted. Tryout fees are applied to the total tuition cost for the year. Each team has one hourly practice per week (split with another WYSA team) on a Wednesday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday at HockeyTown in Saugus. Teams also have one to two skills session per week at HockeyTown or OvertimeIce in Peabody .
- Learn to Skate & Play $175 15 sessions (Nov - Mar) - This program is designed to be a skater’s first on ice experience, to develop basic skating skills-stopping, forward and backward skating, introduction to edge control during turns, and to introduce the game of hockey. The first 4 sessions will focus on skating only. Sticks & pucks will be introduced after that based on each child's balance & readiness. This program is staffed by volunteers and professional skating instructors. This program is for ages 4 – 8. For more information, see wysa.net/clinics.
- Instructional Mites (I Mites) $1025* –This program is designed for the first years of the hockey experience to get players introduced to the fundamentals of the game and continue to improve skating skills. There are 24 cross ice games played at the Stoneham Arena against other I Mite teams from surrounding Cities/Towns.
- Mite Program $1125* –This program is designed to build on the I Mite experience and begin to introduce players to more structured hockey play, with 25 games played in the Valley League. The majority of games at the mite level will be half ice. Rink locations and game times are scheduled by the league and teams play Cities/Towns from around the region.
- Squirt, Peewee and Bantam Programs $1575* – These programs also play in the Valley League and play 45 games per season. Rink locations and game times are scheduled by the league and teams play Cities/Towns from around the region.
- Girls U10, U12 & U14 Program cost $1225*- There will be 25 games, one practice per week and one skill session every other week. Season runs Sept thru March. Rink locations and game times are scheduled by the league and teams play Cities/Towns around the region.
- Middle School Teams 14-17 Games - Cost is based on number of players. This program is games only, no practices. Teams play in Valley Middle School League. Season begins with jamboree the week before Thanksgiving and ends with playoffs in February. Rink locations and game times are scheduled by the league and teams play Cities/Towns from around the region.
- Midgets $225 - This program is designed for those players that have aged out of the Bantam level and is a games-only half season (10 to 12 games). This program is played in the fall prior to the High School hockey season.
* In addition to tuition for these teams, there is a $100 donation per family for our November daily calendar raffle fundraiser
Note: Registration and Tryouts for I-Mites – Midgets are in the spring for fall season. Registration for Learn to Skate/Learn to Play are in the fall.
- Instructional Mites – Birth year 2010 and younger
- Mites – Birth year 2008 and 2009
- Squirts – Birth year 2006 and 2007
- Peewees – Birth year 2004 and 2005
- Bantams – Birth year 2002 and 2003
- Midgets – Birth year 1997 through 2001